Westercon 72, NAFIC 2019, 1632 Minicon, and Manticon 2019 are together inviting submissions of academic papers for presentation at Spikecon to be held on July 4th-7th, 2019 in Layton, Utah. We are seeking 30 minute papers which raise the level of dialogue and discussion in the Science Fiction/Fantasy community and seek to empower fans as well as creators.
Topics of Interest Include:
- Literary analysis/criticism of science fiction or fantasy works including those of our Spikecon Guests of Honor
- Historical events impacting science fiction and/or fantasy works
- Developments in science and technology
- Craft of writing
- Cultural impact of scifi/fantasy
- Fan and creator relationship
- Studies of individual creators/universes
Guidelines for Submissions
Submissions should include a summary/abstract of no more than 250 words.
Please include your contact information including your name, phone number, mailing address, and email. Submissions lacking contact information will not be considered.
Spikecon is supported by the Utah Fandom Organization, (UFO), a 501(c)(3). As a non-profit organization of dedicated fans, we unfortunately cannot afford to pay appearance fees for speakers. Panelists and volunteers are asked to contribute at a pre-supporting price of $30. Your membership fee will be evaluated post-convention for reimbursement, following the Worldcon model.